Do we really want to stand over the stove for an hour or more, after working all day? Nah! I’ll pass. Well, this is a quick and simple meal, but the good news is it’s also healthy and delicious! A win-win all around.
You can use brown rice rather than white if you prefer, and actually substitute a veggie or two if that’s what the family likes!
- 2 or 3 Scallions. Discard the last 2 inches of the end . Mince.
- 2 Garlic cloves. Minced
- 3 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Perhaps a bit more if needed.
- Fresh Asparagus. Remove the bottom inch or so, that’s tough. I use a potato peeler to remove the toughest “scales”, then cut into 2 in. pieces.
- Broccoli Head. Wash, then cut heads into florets.
- Red Bell Pepper. (Or Orange or Green, you decide) Wash, cut & remove interior seeds and membranes. Slice into pieces the same size as the Asparagus.
- Plain Rice. Cook first. Use as much as you think you’ll need for your meal.
- Boneless Chicken Breast. Again, use as much as you’ll need for your family. Slice into 2 inch pieces while raw. You can use Chicken Tenderloin pieces or cut regular thickness into thinner pieces.
- ½ cup Gluten Free Chicken Broth.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Basil Leaves- a few that you chop or ½ tbl dried.
- Parsley Leaves – also a few fresh that you chop or ½ tbl dried
Easy! Make the Rice first. When it’s done, just cover the pot & wait.
In a large skillet, place the oil. Saute the Scallions first, for about a minute, then add the Garlic. Only saute until fragrant. Don’t allow to brown.
Add the Chicken pieces and cook turning over to make each side lightly golden.
Remove from pan and set aside, covered.
In the same pan, place the Broccoli, Asparagus and Peppers. Saute for about 4 -5 minutes. Carefully watching not to burn. They are “crisp-tender at this point. Add the Broth, Chicken again and Spices and cover pan. Simmer for about 3 minutes, turning once or twice to coat everything.
Now you can plate the Rice, and pour your Veggie-Chicken medley over it. Done! Dinner in a flash and it’s actually good for us!!