They say “Necessity is the mother of invention”. I don’t know if anyone else has made this recipe before me, but it was a necessity that made me check out the contents of the fridge last night searching for an appetizer I could create, last minute!
Yeah, we’re Italian! So there’s always gonna be Italian Sweet Sausage in the fridge. And of course, in the pantry there’s also always a box of Gluten Free Bisquick. (Seriously, they should consider sponsoring my blog, don’t you think. I’m always using it!) So here’s the latest:
Ingredients for 12 Muffins:
- 3 Italian Sausage Links: remove casing.
- 1 tbl Canola or Veg Oil for sautéing Meat
- 1 ½ cups G-Free Bisquick
- ½ Shallot. Minced.
- 3 Large Eggs
- ¼ cup Canola or Veg Oil for batter
- ¼ cup Milk or substitute. We use Coconut Milk. Maybe a bit more if batter seems dry.
- ½ cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese ( or Daiya brand substitute)
- 1 tbl. Grated Italian Cheese . Parmeggiano or Romano
- 1 tbl Fresh Parsley Flakes, minced
- Dash of Salt & Pepper to taste
- Pinch of Nutmeg ( really, just a pinch)
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
After removing the meat from the casing, break apart into small chunks onto a plate.
Place the 1 tbl of oil in a fry pan and add the meat to saute. Turn over as 1 side cooks, so as to cook all of the chunks. Remove with a slotted spoon.
Place on a paper towel to drain.
In a mixing bowl, put the eggs, ¼ cup of oil, and milk. Beat till well combined.
Add the Bisquick. Combine.
Add remaining ingredients but not the sausage yet.
Break up any large chunks of sausage now that it’s cooled a bit. You want them to be about ½ inch in size or smaller.
Add the meat to the batter, and stir in.
Take your regular size muffin tin, and spray lightly with a G-Free Veg Spray.
Spoon in the batter and bake for approx. 45 minutes. Check frequently. They should be a golden brown. Ovens vary, so keep your attention on that oven!
Of course, best served hot! Enjoy! If you’re storing in the ridge, place in a covered container, BUT allow to cool first or they’ll be “wet” from the steam.