This Tuscan recipe is quick, easy and so versatile. Make sure the Italian Sweet Sausages are gluten-free, of course. (Whatever you do, do not use breakfast sausage: big difference!) This was an old recipe, pre-Celiac Days, but being mindful of our ingredients, makes it easy to transition it for our G-F needs. Serve it aside some gluten-free pasta or rice…your preference! A nice salad, and you’re ready to go! Mangia!
- 4 or 6 Italian Sweet Sausages. Halved, short-length. Ask butcher if they’re G-Free
- 3 Bell Peppers, Choose any color; green, red, orange, yellow. Slice in strips after removing seeds & membranes
- 1 large Sweet Onion. Such as Vidalia. Slice into thin strips.
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 ½ tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 – 14 ½ oz.can Chopped Tomatoes. I used Muir Glenn, Fire Roasted.
- 1 -15 oz.can Cannellini Beans. Drained of canning liquid. But don’t rinse.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Slice the Sausages on the short side, not horizontally.
Place the oil in a large skillet and when hot, lightly brown the Sausages. They don’t need to be cooked all the way through now.
Remove to a plate & set aside.
In the same oil, saute the Onion & Pepper slices first, after about 2 minutes, add the Garlic and saute. Do not allow to brown.
Drain off any oil and discard.
Pour the Tomatoes and Spices into the pan.
Place the meat back, and add the Beans.
Stir well to combine.
Cover with a tight lid and simmer for about 6-7 minutes over a low heat.
Be sure to stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick.
That’s it! Plate up and serve with your favorite gluten-free pasta shape, even spaghetti is great. Or a nice rice…whatever you prefer.