Quick, stove-top, flavorful…a homerun all around! Here’s a foolproof recipe for Chicken Cacciatora, that whips up so fast even a weeknight meal of this is possible! I used Chicken Tenderloins because they are so tender and will help in the easy turnaround time. These ingredients will serve four. As always, if your needs are greater, do the math and increase them.
- 1 can ( 14 -15 oz) Crushed Tomatoes. I used “Muir Glen” Fire Roasted.
- 2 Bell Peppers. Here are 1 green and 1 red. Washed, seeded, sliced in strips
- 2 large Garlic cloves, minced
- ½ small Yellow Onion, sliced.
- 2 lbs. Chicken Tenderloins, or any Boneless Chicken Breast, sliced into approx 3 in. pieces. Don’t use a whole breast. The cook time will be longer if you do.
- 3 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Several Basil Leaves
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Optional: A Gluten Free Pasta
Take your largest Skillet and add the Oil over a low-medium heat
Place the Chicken pieces in, single layer and brown to a golden color on both sides. We’re not cooking all the way through, just get a golden color on them.
When they are golden, remove to a plate.
In the same pan, with the bits of flavor already in there from the Chicken, saute the Onion and Garlic. Do not allow Garlic to brown. Just release its flavor. Next add the sliced Peppers. Simmer for about 3-4 minutes.
Remove to a plate.( You can put them with the chicken.)
In the same skillet, pour in the Tomatoes and add the Salt & Pepper to your tastes.
Add about 2 Basil Leaves, chopped up. Cover the pan and on a low heat, simmer for about 10 minutes. Watch that it doesn’t burn. If too hot, reduce to very low.
After the 10 minutes of simmering, replace the Chicken and Peppers, Onion & Garlic.
Stir well to combine all. Cover and simmer again for 10-12 minutes with the Chicken now finishing it’s cooking. Plate with a few slivers of fresh Basil on top. Done!
Wasn’t that fast and easy?
You can serve as is, with a salad, veggies, etc. or with a Pasta.