Here’s another recipe for the Oh-So-Busy among us. It’s a semi-homemade recipe that you can prepare by adding just a few more ingredients. And if you want to serve it with Summery Flair or for a young girl’s party, it’s perfect!
- 1 Betty Crocker G-F Yellow Cake Mix
- 1/3 cup Sweet Sorghum Flour
- Juice of 1 Meyer Lemon ( A regular lemon is also fine)
- Zest of that Lemon (probably about 1 tbsp.)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2/3 Cup Water
- 1 Stick Sweet Butter
- 1 ½ Teas Vanilla Extract
Following the instructions on their box, prepare the Betty Crocker mix, adding the eggs, butter and water as they request and as listed above. Add the sorghum flour, lemon and zest, and beat well.
Pour into the paper ( or flower) liners and bake at 350 degrees until done.
When cooled, frost with your choice of frosting or make the lemony one below:
Lemon Buttercream Frosting Ingredients:
- 4 tbsp. ( ½ stick) very soft Sweet Butter
- 2 cups Confectioners’ Sugar
- 3 tbsp Milk ( perhaps a drop more if you think consistency is too thick)
- 1 ½ tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 teas. Lemon Zest
In medium bowl, beat softened Butter and the Confectioners’ sugar, then add the milk, lemon and zest. As stated, if you feel it’s needed, add a drop more milk. I used a pastry bag with a round, “serrated” tip for mine, but you can use a smooth knife and just frost as you wish. No need to buy equipment.