Hold on! Don’t be “put off” by this dish, thinking it’s going to be lots of work. It isn’t. Gluten Free Pasta with Mushrooms & Peas whips up in about 10 minutes of prep time and cooks in only 30 minutes! And flavor? Oh, so good! If you don’t like mushrooms, you can even prepare this with only the Peas and remaining ingredients. But, I hope you’ll try it as is.
- 14 oz. can of Crushed Tomatoes. I used Muir Glenn, Fire-Roasted Crushed.
- 1 cup chopped Yellow Onion. I used a Vidalia (a sweet onion)
- 1 Garlic Clove, Minced
- 1 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Frozen Peas. You can leave them frozen. No need to thaw.
- 4 or 5 small Crimini Mushrooms, stems discarded, chopped. Any mushroom you prefer is fine.
- 2 Basil Leaves, chopped. Mine were about 2 in. long. If using dried, then 1 teas.
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Italian Cheese to garnish at serving time. Parmesan or Romano. I used a solid piece and “shaved” some off for topping.
- Choice of Gluten Free Pasta. 8 oz. serves 2 as a full serving, or 4 as a side dish.
- Salt for the Pasta water. About 1 teas.
Place oil in a saucepan and when warm, saute the onion & garlic. Do not brown. Just translucent onion.
Add the canned tomatoes, stir well.
Add the Peas, Mushrooms, Spices. Combine.
Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes, stirring every 8 minutes or so. Be sure to stir well, reaching the bottom of the pot to get all of the sauce into your stirring.
Place boiling water in a second pot. Salt the water. ( 1 teas.) It’s the only time your pasta will absorb it.
When boiling rapidly, add the Pasta of choice and cook as directed on the pkg. We like it “al dente”.
Drain Pasta. Do not rinse.
In a large bowl, combine the cooked Pasta and the finished sauce.
Garnish with the Italian Cheese. Serve immediately.
Get ready for the applause! And most importantly, get someone else to do the dishes!!