Here’s a really delicious pasta dish, bursting with flavor. It’s also a quick prep, so even a week-night meal can be something special.
Put up the large pot of boiling water for the pasta while you’re getting this sauce ready.
- 2 tbl Extra Virgin Olive Oil. I always like “Light” blend in sauces
- 3 Garlic Cloves- minced
- 2 oz. ( 2 slices) G-F Pancetta or Prosciutto. Slice into 1 inch strips. Make sure the deli assures you it’s G-Free. (Boar’s Head is all G-Free)
- A Few Crimmini Mushrooms, sliced. I used 3, 2 inch in size. No stems
- ½ cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes. You may use some packed in oil, or buy a pouch of dried. I put dried ones in a sm. am’t of oil for ½ hour to hydrate.
- Cut into 1 in. strips or pieces.
- Dash of Salt & Pepper to taste
- Dash of Dried Oregano, and small sprinkle of Red Pepper Flakes (Optional)
- 1 box Gluten Free Penne or pasta of choice.
- Handful of chopped fresh Parsley. It was probably ¼ cup.
- ½ can ( use 6 oz.) of Chopped Tomatoes. I used Muir Glen fire-roasted. Delish!
- Optional: Grated Italian Cheese at table for serving sprinkled on top.
This is really a quick prep.
Put the water up to cook the pasta. Salt the water since this is the only time Pastas get that flavoring. When it boils, cook the pasta. Reserve ½ cup of starchy water at the end.
Put the oil in a saucepot and when warm, saute the Garlic, Pancetta or Prosciutto, Mushrooms until softened. Don’t allow the garlic to brown. Perhaps 4 minutes or so.
Add the Spices, Sun-dried Tomatoes and canned Tomatoes.
Add the ½ cup starchy water from the pasta pot. Keep an eye on it, and stir frequently.
This stage takes only a few minutes: perhaps another 4 minutes of simmering on low-medium heat. Don’t boil , just simmer.
Strain the pasta when done and add to the pot of sauce. Combine well.
Plate and use that wonderful cheese on top. The flavors all meld together with a bit of sweetness, tang and bursts of flavor from these terrific ingredients. Mangia!!