Well, the cool weather is upon us, and I don’t know about you, but we love those warm and hearty meals, like this Gluten Free Chicken Stew! Packed, with some Chick Peas, Zucchini, Potatoes, and great “accessories” like garlic, onion, parsley and basil, and a hint of nutmeg; you’re gonna want it all winter long!
We enjoyed ours along with a small portion of gluten free pasta, like fussili, which captures the sauces in its crevices. I have a feeling your family will love it too.
- 1 lb. Boneless Chicken Breasts (Cutlets), each sliced in thirds.
- 1 tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Sized Yellow Onion, sliced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 tbls Tomato Paste ( I like the tube of paste which can be used many times, lasts a long time, refrigerated)
- 1 14 oz Can Tomatoes . I used Hunt’s Diced 100% Natural Tomatoes.
- 1 14oz Can Chick Peas. Drain. You can use ½ if not a huge fan, or sub with cannelloni beans.
- 1 Medium Zucchini, sliced to ¼ in wide slices
- 2 Medium Red Potatoes, washed and most skin peeled off, cut into 1 in. cubes.
- ½ Cup G-Free Chicken Broth
- Dash of Salt & Pepper
- 2 tbls. Fresh Parsley Leaves, minced
- 1 or 2 Fresh Basil Leaves, minced, or 1 teas. Dried Basil
- Slight Dash of Nutmeg.
Season the Chicken with the Salt & Pepper to taste, then cut each thick breast into 3 pieces.
Heat the Oil in a large skillet, and brown the chicken until golden on each side, about 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
In the same oil, saute the onion and garlic until translucent, not browned.
Add the broth, paste, tomatoes and nutmeg.
Stir well to combine.
Add the potatoes which are cut into 1 in cubes, and combine into the sauce.
Cover the pan and simmer for about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken back into the skillet, add the zucchini and cook with cover for about 5-7 more minutes. Prick the potatoes to determine if tender. Of not, keep simmering for another minute or so.
Add the Chick Peas last, only to warm, since they are already cooked. Cook for 1 minute.
When done, sprinkle in the Parsley Bits and Basil. Stir well.
Serve with some pasta, or even noodles. Gluten Free, of course!